This August 15 will mark the 77th Independence Day for India. It was on this day in 1947 when India gained its freedom from the British Raj, after over 200 years of their rule. Many people sacrificed their lives for the country. Remembering them for their selfless acts of struggle and love for the
Bollywood’s first female superstar, Sridevi was born on August 13, 1963. She started her career in south Indian cinema and later shifted to Bollywood, where she worked for roughly 40 years. On her birth anniversary today, here we share an excerpt from Amborish Roychoudhury’s latest biography on the
A few days ago climate activist Greta Thunberg pulled out from participating in the Edinburgh book festival at the last minute. The reason: the main sponsor of the event Baillie Gifford is accused of heavily investing in fossil fuels, which harms the environment. And now, more than 50 authors,
As we celebrate India’s 77th Independence Day today, here we list down some patriotic quotes and messages by freedom fighters of India that will touch your heart and make you emotional. Read on to know more.
On this day in 1947, the first Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru address the nation announcing the historic moment. He also hoisted the Indian flag at Lahori Gate, Red Fort in Delhi. This is a tradition which is since then followed every year by the Prime Minister of India. This year, India is celebrating its 77thIndependence Day with the theme “Nation First, Always First”.
Remembering our freedom fighters and their struggles on India’s 77th Independence Day today, here we list down 25 patriotic quotes and messages by them that will touch your heart and make you emotional. Read on to know more.
1. “Let new India arise out of peasants’ cottage, grasping the plow, out of huts, cobbler, and sweeper.” -Swami Vivekananda
2. “Long years ago we made a tryst with destiny, and now the time comes when we shall redeem our pledge, not wholly or in full measure, but very substantially. At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world sleeps, India will awake to life and freedom.” – Jawaharlal Nehru
3. Where the mind is without fear and the head held high;
Where knowledge is free;
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
Where the mind is led forward by Thee into ever-widening thought and action;
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.
– Rabindranath Tagore
4. “Our nation is like a tree of which the original trunk is swarajya and the branches are swadeshi and boycott.” – Subhas Chandra Bose
5. “A country’s greatness lies in its undying ideals of love and sacrifice that inspire the mothers of the race” – Sarojini Naidu
6. “Freedom is not a mere matter of political decision or new constitutions… it is of the mind and heart and if the mind narrows itself and is befogged and the heart is full of bitterness and hatred, then freedom is absent.” – Jawaharlal Nehru
7. “Freedom is never dear at any price. It is the breath of life. What would a man not pay for living?” – Mahatma Gandhi.
8. “Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country.” – Jawaharlal Nehru
9. “Freedom of mind is the real freedom. A person whose mind is not free though he may not be in chains, is a slave, not a free man. One whose mind is not free, though he may not be in prison, is a prisoner and not a free man. One whose mind is not free though alive, is no better than dead. Freedom of mind is the proof of one’s existence.” — B.R. Ambedkar
10. “Freedom of mind is the real freedom. A person whose mind is not free though he may not be in chains, is a slave, not a free man. One whose mind is not free, though he may not be in prison, is a prisoner and not a free man. One whose mind is not free though alive, is no better than dead. Freedom of mind is the proof of one’s existence”- BR Ambedkar
11. “Forget not that the grossest crime is to compromise with injustice and wrong. Remember the eternal law: you must give if you want to get.” – Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose
12. “India is a dream, a vision, and a hope of the greatest nation in the world.” – Jawaharlal Nehru
13. “It is easy to kill individuals, but you cannot kill ideas. Great empires crumbled, while the ideas survived.” – Bhagat Singh
14. “Swaraj is my birthright and I shall have it.” – Bal Gangadhar Tilak
15. “Sarfaroshi ki tamanna ab hamare dil me hai, dekhna hai zor kitna baazu-e-qaatil me hai.” – Ramprasad Bismil
16. “Merciless criticism and independent thinking are the two necessary traits of revolutionary thinking.” – Bhagat Singh
17. “Tum mujhe khoon do, main tumhe azaadi dunga (Give me your blood and I will give you freedom)”- Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose
18. “Dushman ki goliyon ka hum samna karenge, Azad hee rahein hai, Azad hee rahenge.”- Chandra Shekhar Azad
19. “One individual may die for an idea, but that idea will, after his death, incarnate itself in a thousand lives.” — Subhas Chandra Bose
20. “They may kill me, but they cannot kill my ideas. They can crush my body, but they will not be able to crush my spirit.”- Bhagat Singh
21. “There is no dream, and if there is, there is only one to see my children struggling for the same and for which I am expected to be finished.” — Ashfaqulla Khan
22. “We want deeper sincerity of motive, a greater courage in speech and earnestness in action.” — Sarojini Naidu
23. “Citizenship consists in the service of the country.” — Jawaharlal Nehru
24. “A nation’s culture resides in the hearts and in the soul of its people.” – Mahatma Gandhi
25. “The future depends on what you do today.” – Dr. B.R. Ambedkar